All complete sentences contain a subject and verb, but all sentences function in the same way. In English all sentences can be classified according to one of four functions.
- Declarative Sentence
- Interrogative Sentence
- Imperative Sentence
- Exclamatory Sentence
- the most common sentence in English, used to express facts and opinions.
- it states an idea and ends with a period.
- sentence asks a questions and ends with a question mark.
- demands or requests
- sentence gives an order or direction and ends with a exclamation mark.
- expresses force or emotion, an exclamation mark rather than a period may be placed at the end of the sentence.
- is always used to convey strong emotion and ends with an exclamation mark.